It’s a sad but universal truth that at some point, your central AC will break down, and most likely it will be when it is over 90 degrees outside. When that happens, you will undoubtedly have to wait for the busy HVAC repairman to come and save you from your sweaty, humid misery. Here are a few things you can do to beat the heat when the AC is out:
- Stay Hydrated: You must drink two glasses of water with every meal, force it down if you have to. Avoid drinking sugary sodas, which will only make you thirstier!
- Leave theHouse During the Hottest Part of the Day: It’s simple, JUST LEAVE! Try visiting friends or family, go to a mid-afternoon movie, or even try ice skating. If all else fails, just go to the mall and chill out. Try to plan your outing between noon and 6 PM, when temperatures are hottest outside, and inside, in your case.
- Do Your Chores in the Morning or Night! There is still a nagging need to keep up with household chores, no matter what the temperature is inside. Try doing them early in the morning or late at night, when the house is coolest.
- Take a Cool Bath! If you feel like to just can’t take it anymore, run a cool, but not ice-cold bath. Grab some reading material or entertainment of your choice and cool off for an hour or so.
- Turn off the Lights! Every light source produces heat. Use lights as sparingly as possible and be sure to close all blinds and curtains to block out sunlight.
- Soak Your Shirt in Cool Water! Soak a light cotton shirt in cold water and wear it, it will help regulate your body temperature and keep you cooled off for an hour or longer! Once it begins to get warm, a quick splash in and you’re cool once again. For added cooling, direct a table or other fan to the wet shirt while wearing it.
- Keep a Small Window AC Unit on Hand! Even though their appearance leaves something to be desired, keeping a small window unit on hand will pay back in spades should your central AC ever malfunction.