can be extremely overwhelming. Use this guide to better understand terms and concepts and to help you find the best system for YOUR home.
AFUE, SEER, HSPF… What do they all mean?
Hint: The higher the rating the greater the efficiency and cost savings.
AFUE – Average Fuel Utilization Efficiency
So if your furnace has a 70% AFUE rating, your furnace efficiently converts 70% of fuel to heat. The remaining 30% is lost out the flue.
for gas and oil furnaces
AFUE measures fuel efficiency
SEER – Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio
A higher SEER rating means it consumes less energy, saves you more money and is better for the environment.
SEER measures energy efficiency for air
conditioners and heat pumps.
HSPF – Heating Seasonal Performance Factor
A higher HSPF rating means that your heat pump will be more efficient and cost effective to run.
HSPF measures heating efficiency for
DECIDING ON AN HVAC UNIT
So what exactly should you consider when purchasing a heating or cooling system?
the system to purchase and install Covers the initial cost
Covers the monthly cost to operate, maintenance/repair costs, and the lifespan of the system
In cold states, 35-50% of annual
energy costs go to heating the home
In warm states, 50% of annual energy
costs go to cooling the home
CHOOSING A CONTRACTOR
Great contractors don’t just complete the job, they:
Know the perfect size of equipment for your home
Practice current installation practices
Find and fix potential problems in your home