The Amana ARPT SmartFrame air handler is one of the best in its class. It has a multi-speed unit and features an all-aluminum coil and factory-installed TXV valve for operation with an AC or heat pump. Depending on the size of the unit, up to 20kW of auxiliary heat can be added to make it an electric furnace. Its versatile SmartFrame Amana air handler offers upflow, downflow and L/R horizontal flow for ease of installation. This model made our Top Rated Electric Furnaces/Air Handlers 2013 list with models from Trane, Carrier, Lennox, Goodman, and other leading brands.
- Multi-speed fan for quieter, gentler cooling
- Adjustable air volume variations for heating and cooling
- 3kW, 5kW, 8kW, and 10kW heat strips available
- 4 and 5-ton models can accept 2 10kW units or a single 15kW unit
- Internal TXV valve
- SmartFrame cabinet construction offers installation options
- Multiple electrical knockouts aid in installation
- Three-hole condensate pan improves removal of moisture
- Uses standard-size filters
Pricing: This unit is competitively priced. Backed by a good warranty, it’s a good value among average air handlers. Here are the current prices for this model:
- 1.5 ton Amana ARPT SmartFrame air handler:$689
- 2 ton Amana ARPT SmartFrame air handler: $749
- 2.5 ton Amana ARPT SmartFrame air handler: $839
- 3 ton Amana ARPT SmartFrame air handler: $889
- 3.5 ton Amana ARPT SmartFrame air handler: $969
- 4 ton Amana ARPT SmartFrame air handler: $1,059
- 5 ton Amana ARPT SmartFrame air handler: $1,129
Heat strips are an additional expense: 3kW = $80, 5kW = $100, 8kW = $110, 10kW = $110.
Warranty: Amana covers this unit with a 10-year warranty on all parts. That’s an average warranty for top-quality air handlers/electric furnaces.
Installation: We recommend choosing an experienced, quality HVAC technician to install your unit. The unit will only work as well as it is installed, and a poor installation will mean higher energy bills for you and a shorter life for your unit. A good HVAC technician will have the know-how to install the unit and ability to calibrate it to your home’s specific needs so you’re getting the most for your money. If installed correctly, this unit will keep your heating bills down with reliable service for many years to come.